The news is reporting another email hack, this time effecting Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail. If you use any of these services, you should change your password now.
Here are a couple of tips to keep your important online accounts safer:
- If your email provides a multi factor authentication option, consider using it.
- Keep your email passwords different from your other passwords.
- Hackers can use your email password to attempt to access other services you use. The thought process is that if you use that password for email, you might also use the same password for accessing your financial accounts.
- Change your passwords!
- Set up a schedule and change your passwords a few times a year. The benefit of keeping your information protected is worth the temporary inconvenience.
- Don’t reuse old passwords.
- Modifying a password slightly is more secure than reusing old passwords.