Be Alert and Aware at ATMs
- Use familiar, well lit ATMs whenever possible.
If you need to use a non-ELGA ATM, make sure that it’s clear of obstructions and you know where the blind spots are located.
- Familiarize yourself with your ATM and make sure there are no signs of tampering.
The card reader should be secure and the lights working.
- Leave immediately if you see anyone you feel is suspicious.
- Come to the ATM prepared to make your transaction quickly.
Take your money immediately from the machine when it’s dispensed, don’t allow yourself to be distracted during your transaction.
- Don’t let anyone stand near enough to read your PIN as you enter it.
Shield the keypad with your hand.
- Do NOT count your money at the machine, wait until you have left and are secure.
- Do NOT throw your ATM receipt away at the ATM location.
- ALWAYS make sure you have your card, your money and your receipt.
- Do NOT write your PIN on your card, or keep a record of your PIN in your wallet or purse.
Be Smart about Mobile Banking
- Make sure your devices are updated with the latest software
- Download your apps only from trusted stores (Apple App Store or Google Play)
- Make sure your device is password protected
- Do NOT send information over public Wi-Fi networks, use cellular data when using your banking app.
- Do NOT store your passwords or sensitive information on your phone.
- Check your mobile device privacy settings
Stay Safer Online
- Check Your Accounts Often to make sure they are correct.
Report incorrect transactions immediately.
- Buy only from trusted websites. Pay attention to the URL when you enter your payment info.
You should not enter sensitive information when the URL shows HTTP://, it should be HTTPS:// with no errors.
- Avoid clicking links on email or social media.
Go directly to the site instead by entering the URL.
- Save all records of your online transactions.
Have a safe and wonderful 2016!